Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The start...

So, on a recent trip to Vegas I was introduced to the world of limit poker. As a NLHE player, I always viewed limit as the poker equivalent of the kiddie pool. I think I am wrong, I can't stop thinking about it, it's more nuanced than I thought, the pots are consistently bigger than I thought, and you are actually capable of making moves and putting players on hands. It was also somewhat fun to be able to open up my hand selections and some of the plays are counter-intuitive to the no-limit game and are just downright fun.

A few days ago I got an itching to play online. I opened my FT account, which I haven't touched in awhile and found a whopping $11. I started out at the .25/.50, full table game and have ground it up to 27 dollars at this point.

I've realized something. Almost always, for me, poker is only about winning money. I can't stand doing the "right thing" and grinding up levels and managing bankroll properly because eventually I get a hankering to take a shot at "real money". I've lost playing poker for the love of advancing my skills. So I have decided to see how far I can go with my limited bankroll, how far can I grow it and what can I learn about limit poker along the way.

So, in the spirit of my friend over at Holdem Notebook, I'm going to chronicle my slow grind in the limit world.

No comments:

Post a Comment