Friday, March 20, 2009

But they look so pretty...

Is there a worse hand in poker than mid to small pair under the gun? First to act with a pair of fives, good times. To me, this type of hand, whether you are playing no limit or limit, comes down to table feel.

In limit poker, you have to get a feel for the table. Is it kind of crazy where people are cold calling raises with Ax or Kx sooooted? If so, you are probably best served to actually limp into the pot and go set-mining. If the table is a bit tight, then come in for the raise and then decide what to do after the flop. Either way, it's probably the one type of hand that does not have a standard, 80% right 100% of the time answer.

I almost feel like when I get that hand I am actually paying a tax to the poker gods...

2 comments:

  1. "fold" is also a valid option under some circumstances. (22-55 under the gun, wacky table)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In NLHE, I agree, in limit, I disagree. Since it's limit, you are only facing a four bet max pre-flop, and usually a set is good. In the case of a wacky table where you think there could be a raise with lots of callers, you get the EV (in limit terms) to call whatever raise (as long as you are not isolated).

    I think in a tight table you HAVE to raise, in a loose table, you have to limp. In both cases you only fold pre-flop if isolated with a raise.

    I think.

    ReplyDelete