Friday, March 20, 2009

Multi Tabling Bastards...

So, I hop on to FT for 30 minutes this morning. I sign on to three waiting lists for the .25/.50 limit game and two came up at the same time. Must not multi-table... must not multi-table... ok, one time. So when the third waiting list popped up, I figured what's another table amongst friends. And amongst friends I was, after about three minutes I realized I was at a table with FOUR other players, at all three tables. Counting myself there were five multi-tablers at the same three tables. Danger, danger Will Robinson.

Now, just because someone multi-tables does not mean they are a good player. In fact, you could argue that on average you can assume they are a bad player. Most people who multi-table aren't ready for it yet, or don't understand the dynamics of how it changes your hands or reads. So I'm not necessarily going to shy away from a group of multi-tablers, but it makes things interesting.

When multi-tabling you can tighten up on your hand selections, you can't focus on nuances as much and can't get a solid read on players at your table. So you should just play high hands and play them hard. As an opponent you can take advantage of that. Low, scattered boards are great to check raise on, for example, assuming that the MT holds premium cards and could get pushed off with AK or AQ. Things like that. But, while YOU are MT-ing, you can't do those plays either.

So, after careful review (and after posting a decent loss), I've come to the conclusion that if I find a group of people MT-ing at my table, I will be best served to focus on a single table that contains as many MT-ers as possible and dominate that table. Take advantage of the fact that my opponents have divided attention and enable myself to get that extra edge on hand reads that is so tough to get in low limit poker.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your thoughts on multi-tabling, I'm one of those who can't handle more than two tables at a time. Last night I made the mistake of playing 3 tables pretty much for the same reason you did this morning and ended up losing over 2 buy-ins. It seems like two is just right where I can keep up with the action and kind of get a read on my opponents. With 3 there always seems like there is a decision to make and sometimes 2 or 3 all at the same time and that gets me into trouble.

    ReplyDelete